Prologue to a Twins Blog

Friday, December 30, 2011

The Best of 2011

Every year I put together a list of the best books that I've read that year, but I'm doing things differently this year since I'm getting bored of routine. This year I've put together a list of the best things I've enjoyed this year entertainment-wise, but I'll start with the best books as a tribute to what I usually do.

Best Books

Dangerous to Know (Lady Emily #5) by Tasha Alexander
This is the 5th installment of the Lady Emily series and I think it's the best one yet. The 6th book was recently published and although I purchased it the day it came out, I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I'm really excited to and hope it's even better.

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
A fun romp through 1930's New York City high society.

The Dark Fields by Alan Glynn
This is the book that the movie Limitless with Bradley Cooper was based on. The movie wasn't very good in my opinion, but the book was awesome! I read the book before I saw the movie.

The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley
I really enjoyed this older book by Susanna Kearsely and while I'm not one for romantic themes I thought the author handled it perfectly. Great flirting descriptions!

The Violets of March by Sarah Jio
The cover of this book instantly attracted me (see you can judge a book by it's cover) and I bought it on the spot. I really liked this story of a heartbroken woman who travels to Bainbridge Island in Washington state to visit her aging aunt. Full of heartfelt moments and family secrets - loved it.

The Sweet Life in Paris: A Recipe for Living in the World's Most Delicious City by David Lebovitz
Even though I don't cook and I'm on the opposite end of the foodie spectrum, I'm attracted to books written about eating or cooking in Paris (My Life in France by Julia Child made my list last year). This book does not disappoint in any way. Incredible recipes which one day I hope to try and I love David Lebovitz's breakdown of the french/Parisian culture. Who knew a pastry chef could be so funny!

Best Movies

The absolute best movie I saw all year was Crazy, Stupid Love - if you haven't seen, just see it already!

Midnight in Paris

It's Kind of a Funny Story

The Prestige - this one is my all time favorite movie and I did watch it again this year. You can't go wrong with a cast of Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Cain, David Bowie, and the guy who plays Niles on The Nanny, Daniel Davis.

Cutest On-Screen Couple

Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone

Best TV Shows

Hot in Cleveland on TV Land

White Collar on USA Network

Good Luck, Charlie on Disney

Melissa and Joey on ABC Family

House Hunters on HGTV

Usually Burn Notice on USA Network would be on this list, but I gotta say it's getting a little repetitive. When you're a spy, there are only so many things you can do and say that's new I guess.

Best TV Series

Lark Rise to Candleford from BBC on PBS

Downton Abbey from BBC on PBS

Favorite Actors this Year

Ryan Gosling

Emma Stone

Bruce Campbell - he's on my list every year since 1988 except for his work in Bubba Ho-Tep (Sorry, Bruce!)

Matt Bomer

Kevin Spacey

Ed O'Neill

So, what were your favorite things in 2011? Let me know below I'd love to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment